Monday, April 20, 2015

April Fools Day

I'm not much of a prankster, but I have some really cute school pranks that I thought I'd try on the kids this school year. In the morning I told the kids we were going to go outside to look for a special bird called a Lirpaloof that migrates to our area during the days around April 1st. I got the idea and the handout HERE on the blog Sunny Days in Second Grade. I told the class that a Lirpaloof loves to eat carrots and we'd hold out carrots (we made them out of contruction paper since I forgot the real carrots at home) and sing "Lirpaloof" to help us find the elusive bird. The kids were so excited, and they did such a great job singing "Lirpaloof" (check out the video below).


 


I had the hardest time keeping a straight face! After several kids said they had spotted a Lirpaloof in one of our playground trees, I brought them inside and asked them to help me spell Lirpaloof backwards. It took a little bit, but finally one of the kids had a light bulb moment and figured out that the Lirpaloof was a prank.

  After some laughter, I told the kids that I was sorry if any of them felt bad and that I would make it up to them after recess with treats that I brought. I told them I brought brown Es, but of course they all thought I said brownies. It took awhile for them to get it, but when they all finally did we all had a good laugh. Since they were all such great sports, I passed out brownies (the real thing!) for all the kids to enjoy.