Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Goat Project Update

After a lengthy discussion about wants and needs during this holiday season, my 2nd graders decided not to have a traditional classroom gift-exchange. Instead, they opted to raise money to help others in need. Our goal this Christmas was to raise $70 for a dairy goat to help provide nourishment and income for a family in another country. I am so happy to report that the 2nd graders exceeded this goal with the help of generous parents, faculty, and students in other grades. We were able to raise more than $280 (!!!) and we purchased TWO goats in addition to a sheep, honeybees, and two sets of chickens for six different families around the world.

I must mention that the 7th graders and their teacher, Mr. Meharry, were so moved by goat project that they collected money ( almost $77!) without our knowledge. Last Thursday they came into our classroom, surprised us with the money, and then prayed for us and our project. What a blessing that was! I was so moved, I couldn't help but cry.


7th grade treasurer puts the classroom's contribution into our collection box.

7th grade class pastor prays for our project.


I'm so proud of my 2nd graders!


The 2nd graders prayed for the money, the animals to be purchased so they remain healthy (one of the students really did request that we pray for this specifically!), and for the families who will receive the livestock.

I can't begin to tell you how moved I was by this whole experience, and I know that the 2nd graders were blessed as well. I hope that this lesson in giving is one that they will keep with them for years and years to come. Thank you to those who contributed both monitarily and in prayer. We appreciate you!