Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What's in a name?

I wanted to share a writing activity that the kids and I really enjoyed last week. I got this idea from one of my favorite teaching blogs, The Inspired Apple. This teacher makes the most creative anchor charts. I bought myself a whole new set of Mr. Sketch markers, I was so inspired!

For this activity, I wrote my name quite fancily and then made a graphic organizer of all the things that I love and make me, well, me! The kids did such a wonderful job writing and illustrating their own names and the things that they love and enjoy. I was really proud of them for working so hard. Their finished pieces will go into their writing binders. All the things that they drew and wrote about themselves will be  topics for them to write about during writers workshop.













On another note, our classroom has been coming together slowly but surely. This part of our room makes me happy . . . all our classroom supplies organized and labeled in these wonderful Iris drawers that I purchased during Office Max's back to school Buy One, Get One sale last month!

This part of the room is our math corner. For a number of students, this is a favorite spot because they LOVE doing Calendar time. We do quite a bit of learning during Calendar time. Basic numeracy, skip counting, money, time, place value, weather, patterns, tallies, bar graphs, and math vocabulary. We'll be adding temperature, estimation, and more. This is where we also work on our 100 Books in which we do an in-depth study of the number of the day. We also sing our math songs "Days of the Week", "Months of the Year", and "The Money Song" in this corner.

Have a great week!