Tuesday, January 29, 2013

100th Day of School

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that 100 days (101 as I type this) are now behind us. Where does time go? It's always this time of year when I start to panic as I look through my yearly plans with the realization that there is still so much more left for me to teach, and even more for the kids to learn. *sigh* Thankfully, at the close of each year I know that the kids are more than ready to take on the next grade level.

Anyhow . . . let's take a peek at how we celebrated our 100th day of school, shall we? It's been a tradition in my classroom to have kids wear 100 items to school on the 100th day. Each year I look forward to necklaces made of beads, paper clips, pasta, or cereal and t-shirts decorated with dots, stickers, or buttons. There are always creative surprises as well. This year was no exception! Here's a short video featuring some of the kids sharing what they wore. I even stepped up my technological skills up a notch and added still photos to the video though they are quite pixelated - will have to work on that. (Thank you iPhone apps for making my technological life uncomplicated.)



Here's another 100 day tradition in my classroom that the kids love and enjoy - creating self-portraits of themselves at 100 years old. We ended our day with this craftivity. Some of my favorites in this year's bunch are the Albert Einstein-ish eyebrows and mustaches, the bright red lipstick, and the little old lady hair buns. Too cute!

 Idea borrowed from one of my favorite bloggers over at Finally in First.