Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Book Character Day 2015

Book Character Day is one of my favorite days of the whole school year. Book Character Day lets me combine my love of books and dressing up! This year we invited Mrs. Joseph's 3&4 class to join in on the fun.

For this year's Book Character Day I dressed up as Wenda, the sister of Waldo, from the book Where's Waldo?

I was introduced to this book series many years ago while I was in middle school. My little sister collected the books. Waldo books are a grown up version of I Spy books. I introduced the books to my kids this year, and they love the books as much as I do!

Below is a picture of me with my two boys who also dressed up for Book Character Day. The one on the left is Hiccup, the Viking hero from the How to Train Your Dragon book series. The one on the right is Scaredy Squirrel from the book series Scaredy Squirrel. It was my first time to sew a costume together, so that made this Book Character Day even more exciting for me!

Here is a video of the students dressed up as their chosen book character. Each student was required to complete a character analysis of their character. They described what their character looked like on the outside and also described their character's insides - personality traits and/or feelings experienced in the book. Students also made a connection with their character and shared how they were alike.



One of our friends was sick at home on Book Character Day so we FaceTimed with her and she was able to present her book character to the class. She even answered some questions. Modern technology is awesome!



Amelia Bedelia, David from the Bible, Ramona the Pest, and Pinkalicious
Layla the Cotton Fairy, Scaredy Squirrel, Ms. Frizzle, Nancy Drew
Skippyjon Jones, Joash the Boy King, Jesus, Alice in Wonderland
President Obama and Junie B. Jones