Friday, May 15, 2015

Directed Drawings

Throughout the school year, I would give the kids directed drawings for art class. We don't have an art teacher, and an artist I am not so I decided that we would do directed drawings of characters from the books I read aloud in class for some of our art education.

During each lesson, I draw a character step-by-step on the SmartBoard and the children follow my directions on their own sheets of paper at their tables. At the start of the year, many of the kids would get frustrated quite easily, especially my firsties. However, by the end of the year they become pros and there is little to no frustration during our directed drawing classes.

Here is a look at one of our directed drawings of Mr. Putter and Tabby that we did back in October. The kids were really proud of themselves with this one because there are a lot of little details for each of these characters.







Here's a look at some other directed drawings we did this school year.







Here is a directed drawing that the children did after having a lesson on how NOT to draw stick people. The person that they are drawing in this lesson is me!